The Transition Year Programme
The Transition Year programme has been in existence in St. Mel’s College since 2008. The programme is optional within the school. Transition year is growing in strength every year.
Our programme is based on the DES aims for the Transition Year Programme. Our programme calendar focuses on four main areas:
- Continuation of the core subjects
- Subject sampling for the leaving certificate programme
- Transition Year specific modules and subjects
- Once off calendar events
Within our school the core subjects of English, Irish, Maths and a Foreign Language are continued.
Pupils are given the opportunity to sample all the science subjects on offer in the school for Leaving Certificate (Biology, Physics and Chemistry). Business Subjects (Accounting, Economics and Business) Social Studies (History and Geography)
Leisure Studies, Construction Studies, Computers and Career Guidance are timetabled during the year.
Other Modules experienced in TY are:
- Participation in the Gaisce awards (Bronze medal).
- First Aid Course and exam (with certificate)
- Driving Programme
- Performing Arts
- Web Design.
- One day of Law and exam (with certificate)
- Mental Health Programme
- Health & Safety Course
- Various Educational outings
- Participation in the BT Young Scientist Competition
- Work experience
- Community Work