Students are introduced to a number of sports in St Mel’s College through the Physical Education Program in the school.
All 1st year classes will have two periods of PE where they will experience activities like Soccer, Basketball, Indoor Hockey, Olympic Handball, Alley Handball, Fitness and Conditioning, Badminton, Rounders, etc.
In Transition year activities like Golf, Tennis, Aquatics and Rugby are introduced as modules.
In relation to Extra-Curricular activities St Mels have a strong tradition in the following areas:
- 29 Leinster Senior Titles and
- 4 All Ireland Titles
- Competing in all grades at A Level
- A number of West Leinster Titles in recent years
- Teams compete in the various Leinster schools competitions
- Competing in North Leinster championship
- Cross Country and Track and Field
- Teams from the school are given expert coaching at lunch time and after school by dedicated teachers and outside coaches to help all individuals realise their potential in various sports.
Past pupils of the college who have excelled in the National and International sporting arena over the years include,
- Michael Quinn (County Longford Players)
- Pauric Davis (County Longford Players)
- Sean McCormack (County Longford Players)
- David Keenan (Roscommon)
- Dessie Dolan (Westmeath)
- Sean Prunty (Longford Town)
- Michael Lee (Longford Town)
- Daryl Carrigy (Derby County)
- Ray Flynn – (International Athlete)
- Enda Fitzpatrick – (International Athlete)