Longford Athletic Club to Build Indoor Track in St Mel’s

The Longford Athletic Club are submitting planning to build their new indoor athletic facility on the grounds of St Mel’s College. the decision has come after submissions were made to the schools Board of Management and the Diocesan Trust who own the property. The facility will finally provide a home for the club which has had no permanent home since its foundation in the early 1970s. The school has been linked with the club since its foundation as Rev Fr Peter Brady was a founding member and past pupils like Ray Flynn, Enda Fitzpatrick,John Fitzpatrick, Martin Flynn, John Campbell and Barry Shields have all forged long careers on the track from beginning with the club. There have been many other past pupils who have benefited greatly from their involvement with the club and the school are delighted to be able to accommodate the facility as we continue to open our campus to the local community.

In recent years the following community events have been welcomed to our campus

  • Longford’s Traditional Panto
  • The Hype Music Festival
  • Longford’s Men’s Shed
  • Old School/New School Motor Show
  • Leinster Community Games Finals
  • Longford GAA Development Squads

Bishop Kilduff founded the school in 1865 with the intention to educate young boys in the surrounding areas and he would surely be proud of how the college has evolved over many years to serve the full community of Longford.